How does a Guardian Administer a Deceased Ward’s Estate

When someone is appointed guardian of the estate, that person manages the finances and pays bills for the ward. A ward is the minor child or a legally disabled adult. The guardian of the estate is responsible for the care, management, and investment of the estate of a disabled adult or minor child. Read the full article here:

O’Flaherty Law now serves over 105 counties across Illinois, Iowa, and Indiana. If you have any questions regarding a case or would like to speak to one of our attorneys after watching a #LearnAboutLaw video, give us a call at (630) 324–6666 or send us an email at to get in contact with someone from our team.

Subscribe to our channel for daily videos dedicated to all things law and leave a comment with any questions about this topic.

Find us online for more legal content and to stay connected with our team

**None of the content in this series is intended as paid legal advice.

In this video, we delve into how a guardian administers a deceased ward’s estate, including: If I am a guardian is it illegal for me to touch the ward’s assets after the ward dies?, What does an administrator to collect do?, Does a guardian need to file a petition for letters of administration to collect in probate court?, What are letters testamentary and letters of administration?, and What if another party files a petition for letters testamentary or of administration?

At O'Flaherty Law we are your community law firm. Our attorneys are committed to providing exceptional client service in a cost-effective manner.